YOU ONLY GET ONE LIFE - MAKE THE MOST OF IT!

Monday 6 September 2010

Evidence for sports massage??

Is there any evidence to support the use of sports massage is a question I often get asked. The answer to that is simply unfortunately not a lot. So why do so many people still do it?

· Increased lymph flow
· Helps in the removal of waste
· Promotes healing
· Promotes muscle relaxation

They also believe that massage:


According to Mills and Parker Bennett (2004) these are the physiological benefits of massage:

· Increased blood circulation


· Relieves muscle tension
· Mobilises muscle fibres
· Stretches soft tissue
· Improves flexibility

However there are hardly any evidence to suggest why and how sports massage is useful but I have found in my experience that it helps. I learnt during my degree that a good sports therapist should provide treatment from a background of evidence-based practise; however I have learnt that sometimes you need to change this to practise-based evidence. I have seen that sports massage helps people improve their range of movement; I have seen that people feel better after a massage (even though it can be brutal getting a sports massage!). This is why I keep doing it and believe it does make a difference to people. Perhaps in the future sports massage will gain scientific backing, or perhaps it is purely a placebo??


Thanks


Monica

2 comments:

stgeorgemassageUT said...

Sports massage therapy plays a very significant role in the life of a sportsperson. The benefits of sports massage are not only physical and physiological, but also psychological. But why is it so important?

massage rehab st george

Unknown said...

Sports massage is very important since its a form of treating soft tissue injuries.
Sports Massage Edinburgh